Frequently Asked Questions

What is a speech language pathologist?

A speech language pathologist is a highly trained professional who is educated to assess and treat speech and language disorders. All speech language pathologists with TALK hold a masters degree, state licensure, and national certification from the American-Speech-Language-Hearing Association.


What are speech and language disorders?

When a person has trouble understanding others (receptive language), or sharing thoughts, ideas, and feelings completely (expressive language), then he or she has a language disorder.

When a person is unable to produce speech sounds correctly or fluently, or has problems with his or her voice, then he or she has a speech disorder.


What should I do if I think my child has a speech or language disorder?
It is important to remember that all children develop at their own pace and that there truly is a wide range of what is considered “normal” speech and language development. If you feel that your child is having difficulty consult with your pediatrician as soon as possible. Remember the earlier your child receives therapy the better the prognosis is.


Some helpful links:

For Speech and Language Development Milestones:

Child Speech and Language:

The Stuttering Foundation of America:

Childhood Apraxia of Speech: